Skip to content
Why is my hair growing?
An_207699 posted:
About 2 years ago, I was told by several dermatologists that I have female pattern baldness. The prescribed men's Rogaine, because they said my loss was very serious. I believe the Rogaine caused my scalp to break out, so eventually, I stopped using the Rogaine. But my hair has gone from cobweb strands to a full head of hair.

Can anyone explain what happened, why the reversal?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_9353,

You're very lucky if your hair has grown back as many women who have female pattern baldness aren't so lucky and their hair loss can get worse or not get better.

Women can lose their hair from various reasons including hormonal imbalances from PCOS, child birth, peri-menopause, and menopause. Some women can lose their hair due to thyroid disease. Some medications have hair loss as a side effect.

So if any of these may apply to you, please talk to your doctor about it if your hair starts to fall out again. If you are taking any medications please look them up by clicking on the Find a Drug link .

WebMD does have a Hair Loss Health Center to read more about this topic.

Take care!

- Annie
Take a look at the announcement area for links to the various WebMD skin related health centers!

An_207700 replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, Annie.

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to An_207700's response:
You're welcome!

- Annie
Take a look at the announcement area for links to the various WebMD skin related health centers!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.