Skip to content
Notalgia Paresthetica
downtowner545111; posted:
My dermatologist has dianosed my chronic itch as notalgia paresthetica. Has anyone dealt with this diagnosis and is there something that can help the itch! It's located right on my right "wing" bone and HARD to scratch! Help......

acroll2 responded:
I'd had NP for two years before I found out what it was. My doctor had told me a year earlier that it was nothing to worry about but didn't tell me what caused it or what to do about it. Six months ago I happened to meet someone who also has NP and she told me to see a physical therapist who practices in our neighbourhood. He told me that I needed to stretch my spine to relieve the pressure on the nerve that was causing the problem. He told me to do the following exercise that only takes a couple of minutes:

Grab your left wrist with your right hand and bend over as far as you can to the right while pushing your left hip out as far as it will go. Hold that position for twenty seconds and then reverse the procedure on the other side. Repeat the cycle three times. I've been doing this exercise for six months now and have been itch-free!! No meds needed. If I forget to do the exercise for a few days, the itch comes back and goes away immediately as soon as I do the exercise.

It makes sense to address the cause of the condition instead of just using drugs or creams to mask the symptoms. As they say on the internet, your mileage might vary and the exercise might not work for you. I also do a bit of yoga every morning and front and back bends are part of the sun salutation exercise but this alone did not alleviate the itching; it wasn't until I added the side stretches that the itch went away. Hope this helps someone else.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.