Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hidradenitis suppurativa
An_207783 posted:
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to see if anyone could give me advice on my condition. I have hidradenitis suppurativa is "an annoying chronic condition characterized by swollen, painful, inflamed lesions in the axillae, groin, and other parts of the body that contain apocrine glands.I currently have a bump between my thighs. I have seen a dermatologist once and he prescribed antibiotics for one month. That help my condition for a while, but then the bump came back. Are there other treatments?

Also I read that there are three stages of hidradenitis suppurativa. Do all that have this skin disorder go through all stages?

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Anon,
Hidrandenitis usually requires long term and multifacteted treatment. When one of my patients has a flare-up, I will often lance the offending bump, drain it, do a culture, and inject cortisone into the area to decrease the inflammation. The antibiotic used should be determined by the culture result. The only way to prevent a recurrence is to surgically remove the offending cyst. This works well if there is a single cyst that is repeatedly becoming inflamed. In patients with severe hidradenitis, surgery is done to remove the offending glands from the entire affected area. For example the area of the armpit containing the apocrine glands is removed. Some doctors have also used injectible biologic medications like Remicade for severe cases of hidradenitis suppurative. Good luck. Regarding your second question-all people with hidradenitis do not go through the same stages. Some people have only minor and occasional flare-ups during the course of the disease. Some of my patients have problems only every few years.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.