Skip to content
Constantly Itching
An_207784 posted:
I have been suffering from some major allergic reactions, or at least I thought that was the problem. My skin would start itching horribly, if I scratched it at all it would swell up. I figured I was allergic to something and started the usual work.... Take some benadryl, start keeping track of when it happens and start eliminating items. Nothing I changed mattered. Different food, still happened. Changed laundry soaps, bath soap, shampoo and conditioners, still happened. I was in Ga... I am now in the middle of a Wa State desert! Still happening!

I will just be sitting there and will start itching for no reason at all, even hours after eating or drinking anything. And if I bump myself, scratch myself by accident, carry bags on my arms, run my hands down my throat, anything... All the sudden... skin swells, I start itching and it lasts for a good 30 min to an hour. Benadryl only minorly keeps it in check and hydrocortizone creams only give temp relief and of course neither is preventing it.

Went to the Doctor a while back, he just said it was allergies and nothing to worry about. That was nearly a year ago. Will be going to a different doctor now that I have moved and it is still happening, soon as work insurance kicks in. Till then... Any suggestions? (Any help would be great, my 2 year old seems to be developing the same problem. Rest of my kids are fine and so is my husband.)

Capsaicin responded:
Sounds like pressure urticaria or "hives". Try over the counter Zyrtec or Allegra everyday for 2 weeks. See if that helps.

An_207785 replied to Capsaicin's response:
I have never even heard of this!! I have always had these reactions, as far back as I can remember but they came and went. Doctors always said it was just allergies and since I lived in Ga I better get used to it. Thought it was odd when I moved to a cold dry climate and nothing changed.

Will most definitely try that and speak to the dermatologist soon as the insurance kicks in. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

An_207786 replied to Capsaicin's response:
Ugh, seems I deleted a sentence without noticing..... Should read....

I have always had these reactions, as far back as I can remember but they came and went. It was only till the last year that it became a serious constant issue.

Afina replied to Capsaicin's response:
Just wanted to swing by and thank you. I started the Allegra like you suggested and it has truly changed my life. I still itch but I can wash my face now without is swelling like I was just stung by a bee. Can sleep without waking up in fits of itching I cannot control and I am not longer to the point of scratching where my skin is peeling off. Thank you!!!!

Capsaicin replied to Afina's response:
Glad it helped!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.