Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Please help- MISERABLE
sunflower62509 posted:
I started using Differin cream about 3 weeks ago. I use it every other day, pea-size amount, careful not to use too close too my eyes mouth etc. About a week ago, I woke up with swollen, red itchy eyelids. Didn't give it too much thought since I have seasonal allergies. Took my claritin and used tiny bit of OTC hydrocortisone cream. Seemed to clear up within few days, just left with tiny abrasion-like mark under left eye. All of a sudden, it came back, now to both eyes and upper and lower eyelids, swollen ,red itchy, HORRIBLE!! It's even left deep creases under my eyes, I guess from the swelling. I didn't think it might be related to the Differin, until today. I used it last night and my face is very red and mildly itchy. I have appt with Dermatologist on thursday, and eye MD on tues. Hydrocortisone cream helps with itch and I'm careful to use very little. I just look and feel terrible!! Anyone have any ideas, similar experiences?? Any feedback would be appreciated greatly! Thanks

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Hi I reviewed the product insert on Defferin cream .
According to their website ,some individuals may be susceptible to a hypersensitive reaction.
It appears that you have already taken the right steps by scheduling an appointment with your Dermatologist.
Your Physican may prescribe something stronger than over the counter hydrocortisone to help clear things up..
www.drsusanevansdermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.