Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
ITCHING AT NIGHT
NWCOWGIRL posted:
I HAVE INTENSE ITCHING OF EXTREMITIES AT NIGHT. i MEAN THE WORST ITCH YOU CAN IMAGINE. I AM 63 AND AM ON SEVERAL MEDICATIONS BUT THEY DON'T SEEM TO BE THE PROBLEM. IT IS USUALLY ONLY ONE SITE AT A TIME BUT I CAN NOT SLEEP WHEN IT STARTS.FEET AND LOWER LEGS AND SOMETIMES HANDS. ALSO IT CAN HAPPEN DURING THE DAY BUT NOT OFTEN. SOME OF THE PLACES I HAVE SCRATCHED THE SKIN HAS TURNED A MOTTLED RED/BROWN COLOR AND HAS STAYED THIS WAY FOR MANY MONTHS. I DON'T THINK IT WILL EVER BE NORMAL AGAIN. THIS IS NOT JUST A DRY SKIN ITCH. I KNOW WHAT THAT IS LIKE. THIS IS FAR WORSE. I HAVE TORN THE SKIN OPEN IF I DON'T CATCH MYSELF EARLY ENOUGH. WHEN THE PAIN OF RAW SORE GETS WORSE THAN THE ITCH IS ONLY RELIEF. NOT A PLESANT RELIEF. HELP

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Chronic itcing can be a devastating problem.Your first step is to consult with your physician to exclude any underlying medical conditions such as thyroid ,hormonal or circulatory diseases.Next step is to determine if you have any underlying skin diseases such as excema or ,psoriasis and finally you should rule-out any infectious causes , insect bites ,fungal or worm infestations.
Hopefully this is a start
Best
Dr Evans
www.drsusanevansdermatology.com

Anon_235178 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
for the past few months i have had severe intching on both breasts at night occasionally in the day not to often and my left nipple has become inverted my breasts itch on the outside near the 1/2 way mark and a little into my armpit please help thanks so much

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_235178's response:
Hi Anon,

Any change in breast appearance should be checked out by your doctor. Please contact your OBGYN or primary care physician for an exam.

In the meantime, this resource, Breast Problems - Topic Overview , may be helpful.

Please let us know what you find out after seeing the doctor.

Elizabeth

Johnvpuig responded:
Did you ever get an answer-- your symtoms sound just like mine. I'm a 66 year old male

JimP321 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
So a couple months ago my skin started itching. I have been itching all over my body. The worst is the itching in the groin area. my genitals have been itching and there are big bumps there that itch 24/7, and especially at night. The bumps on my genitals are on my legs too and they get bigger and redder if I scratch them. It hasn't been a horrible thing to go through. Here is a link to a picture I took of my inner leg. I want to know what is going on with my skin http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/snapshot201211071.jpg/

kiki7zen replied to JimP321's response:
Go to the doctor for treatment.

Johnvpuig replied to Johnvpuig's response:
I finally went to see a doctor about two and a half months ago and he stated that I had like a virus/allergy as my right hand was also very scally and dry. He said that the problem was from the hand that was causing the bug to spread to different parts of my body via the blood system. He gave me a prescription to a cream "Triamcinolone Acetonide o.1%" and said to apply it every night and also take Zyrtec (over the counter allergy pill) every night-- I'm please to say that I've been TOTALLY itch free since following his advice. I've missed the Zyrtec on a few occasions but never the cream

JimP321 replied to kiki7zen's response:
I can't afford to

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to JimP321's response:
Hi JimP321 -

This does sound and look very frustrating and uncomfortable. One of our members put together links to help find free or low cost healthcare -

FREE/LOW-COST MEDICAL CARE, INCLUDING COUNSELING

Dr. Tareen mentioned on another post that she volunteers at a free clinic in the St. Paul area. She suggests calling a private office or University to see they have a discounted rate for patients with no insurance.

Also, check out this slideshow to see if anything looks familiar - Adult Skin Problems.

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Johnvpuig's response:
Hi John -

Thanks so much for checking back in to let us know what you found out. So good to hear you have been itch free!!!

Sharing your experience really helps others in our communities!

Elizabeth

gdasema replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Dr. Maybe you could advise me with my situation also. i'm having a severe itching at night for years and now he become so worst, it would wake me up at night. I have been taking Zyrtek for years with not much succes. I went to see my Doctor last month and he prescribe me a cream call: TRIAMCINOLONE, when i using it it make it my situation worst like my body turn on fire. I done a lot of test my liver is fine and i now i don't know what to do next and my Dr's office seems like don't care too much

lerenikithan responded:
even meh m facing this same problrm

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.