Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
dyshidrotic eczema help please
mypeanut071106 posted:
I put this on another board and no one could help. I have been diagnosed with this eczema and it is driving me nuts. It took us about 6 months to just get ride of the bubbles under my skin and that nasty puss stuff that went along with it. However the dry skin that is left after words is killing me. I would love to go back to work but I can not because it kills me to stand on my feet for to long because of the dry skin. I was doing what I was told putting vasoline on my feet then covering it with thin cotton socks but it doesn't make it go away it helps but it will just come right back again. Does anyone else have this? If so what do you do please help me I am absolutely clue less on this. I am afraid the dry skin is going to cause the bubbles to come back and then it becomes excruciating.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Sparky23456 responded:
Dear mypeanut: I wish I could reach through cyberspace and give you a big hug. I truly do feel your pain and frustration. My experience with dyshidrotic eczema is what landed me on this website about three years ago. I was FRANTIC to find out what I had, and how to get rid of it. Unfortunately, no one on this site knew what I was dealing with - so it was months of web surfing that finally landed me on a photo site that offered pictures of dyshidrotic eczema cases. Eureka! At least I knew what I was dealing with! Unfortunately, I didn't find much in the way of a cure. Number one, I have no health insurance and could not afford a visit to the dermatologist. I did learn that a lot of dyshidrotic eczema cases are nickel-related. Are you being exposed to nickel in your diet or environment? Do you wear jewelry or a watch that may contain nickel? I also learned (unfortunately) that the cycle of blisters drying up and being replaced by extremely dry, cracked skin in often a repeating one. Keeping that cracked skin hydrated is a major challenge. The only thing I can suggest is that you seek help from a different dermtologist (assuming that you are under the care of a doctor already). Different people respond to different regimens, and you need to find a doctor who will take the time to find what works for you. As it turned out, after about a year and a half of me dealing with the dyshidrotic eczema ( and my grandson being treated unsuccesfully for pediatric eczema), a pediatric dermatologist FINALLY determined that my grandson had contracted scabies - which caused our 'eczema' breakouts! Our different cases of eczema were caused by an allergic reaction to the scabies parasites (more specifically, the fecal matter they were depositing under our skin - yuck!). Once the scabies were successfully treated, his classic eczema symptoms and my dyshidrotic eczema symptoms completely vanished (thank God!). The itch was horrific (from the eczema AND the scabies), and the cracked, split skin on my feet and hands had me at my wits' end. I pray that you will find a doctor and/or a treatment plan that will bring you permanent relief. May God bless.

zina2004 responded:
From my personal experience with eczema, i use to get a lot of big black spots that would be the size of the top of a cup and it was awful i first tried this cream in a green jar that burned like crazy and didn't like it but then i saw a commercial about the Eucerin and its the best lotion Ive ever used know problem since. it may not work for all but its worth giving a try. good luck

mypeanut071106 responded:
Thank you very much. I do not have health insurance so I have had to pay for every doctor I have seen from the regular doc, foot doc, and finally the dermatologist a total of 7 before someone could tell me what it was other then athleats foot which turned out to be far from athleats foot. We have been checked for scabies and it came back negative. I don't eat anything different then what I was eating before I got this eczema it just kinda appeared when I got this new job. It took him three different treatments just to get the bubbles to go away. It is absolutely killing me I talked to a pharmacist and he gave me Amlactin its suppose to work better then the vasolin I was using we will see if it works. I just feel so much better I am not the only one going through with this junk because it is excrutiating.

Sparky23456 responded:
Dear mypeanut: Wow! You've really been through the mill with this stuff, haven't you? It sounds as if you may be allergic to something in your new work environment. Although it's unlikely that you'll discover the cause of your outbreak, I sincerely hope that the product your pharmacist recommended brings you relief. I will keep you in prayer. May God bless.

GregDO1358 responded:
Dyshidrotic Eczema is an incurable skin disorder found usually on the hands and feet. It will come and go in stages. During a breakout first you will feel your skin becoming itchy & red, then red dots will form along with puss filled sacs most commonly found on the finger & toe tips, then the puss sacs will diminish and your skin will start to thicken, peel, and get very dry. In acute cases this disorder runs It's course (usually over a two week period) the patient is usually left with fairly normal looking skin. Patients suffering with chronic Dyshidrotic Eczema usually have red, dry, scaling skin in between breakouts. [br>[br>[br>Unfortunately there is no known cure. My best advise to people who can afford it is to see a Dermatologist, and get UV light therapy. For people that my not be able to afford this you can get the same results by visiting a tanning salon. I have found that Light therapy is the only way to put Dyshidrotic Eczema into remission. After remission is accomplished no further light therapy is needed unless it returns. Make sure if you go to a tanning salon that your feet are well in the tanning bed, so they receive the maximum amount of UV light possible. I recommend starting your tanning visits at 10 minutes per session, with no more than 1 session per day. [br>[br>[br>Don't worry your not dying, and you don't have a cancerous condition. I hope this is helpful to you.

SusanCrawford9000 replied to GregDO1358's response:
DearDrGreg and Others: My son Tim suffers from this terrible condition dyshidrotic eczema and it is very severe. He is 30 years old and has had it since he was 17 and it worsens every year with no relief. He has seen just about every referred dermatologist in our area and nothing puts a dent in helping him except for Prednisone. He has been on Prednisone so much and it is not healthy for him. As soon as the dosepak runs down, the condition flares right back up again. His health is very poor as a result of the condition AND the medications. He is depressed, not sleeping, difficulty breathing, heart racing (is that panic attacks?) he wakes up and can't breathe and thinks he is dying, severe anxiety, pacing, stressing, can't stand the pain and itching, his hands and feet are painful - his feet to stand on and his hands to even move his fingers. The skin is very thick and his hands are very swollen. I realize some of these symptoms may be side affects from the medications. He takes antibiotics, prednisone and his new doctor has him taking Methotrexate which she says they are using in trial in cases of severe skin conditions receiving no relief from any medications. Sometimes he gets so tired of the side affects from the meds that he self medicates with drinking. We are at our wits end. Dr. Greg, I am going to send him to the tanning salon tomorrow and tell him to go every day. No one has any answers for him. I have pictures if you want to see them. We are willing to travel if you can help him. I consider his condition very serious indeed. Thanks for listening.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to SusanCrawford9000's response:
Dear Susan,

Instead of a tanning booth, a more effective treatment is localized UV -B treatment or excimer laser in your dermatologists office.

These give special wavelengths of light that reduce the inflammation from eczema - with almost NO side effects.

Prednisone is terrible long term and methotrexate is also not a great medication to be on long term as well.

I hope that helps

GregDO1358 replied to SusanCrawford9000's response:
Hello Susan. I agree with Dr. Tereens advise to visit a dermatologists office that has light therapy as a treatment option. Insist on getting off of all steroids!. When he has been off of the steroids, and receiving light therapy (or the tanning booth if you can't afford a dermatologist) monitor his signs of anxiety, and depression closely. Hopefully they diminish as he sees some much needed progress. Anxiety & Depression are serious issues, and can be effectively treated to help his symptoms, so if they continue please talk to your Dr. about it.
Please educate yourself on the signs and symptoms of heart attacks, and strokes. Panic attacks symptoms often mimic the signs of a heart attack, and it is very important not to overlook symptoms as "just a panic attack". It very well may be a panic attack, but It's is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to these types of symptoms, and quickly seek medical attention when they occur. I think after he gets off steroids, and experiences the awesome results of light therapy, most of his depression or anxiety may subside.

Please be careful by sending him to the tanning booth everyday. Only 15 minutes at a time, and every other day for 2 weeks is what I usually recommend. This should clear his Dyshidrotic Eczema, and hopefully put it into remission for many years to come. Please keep me updated on his progress.

SusanCrawford9000 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Tareen - Tim went to a light treatment in his dermatologist office last week and experienced immediate relief from his symptoms. I agree that he needs to get off the Prednisone and the Methotrexate and will work toward that goal. Interestingly, through all of this we found a cousin who suffers with the same condition. He said he found an allergist that told him to get off wheat and it took 6 months, but he has not had any flare ups of this condition in 5 years. Now that is remission! Thanks muchly.

Dear Dr. Greg, we found light therapy this week - while a 45 minute drive from home, we find it to be very valuable. His first visit heeded excellent results of his symptoms. I am very concerned for his overall health with his heart and breathing. I have asked his wife to report to me daily and I will help her get educated about symptoms of heart attack and stroke - thanks for that advice. We are starting him on a gluten free diet this week and will let you know in the future how this worked. He is scheduled for a scope for seliac -
Thank you for your time and your thoughts. We are desparate and appreciate all advice. I will keep you updated.
Susan Crawford 9/20/12

GregDO1358 replied to SusanCrawford9000's response:
Susan, Great job on quickly getting your son into a dermatologist. that offers light therapy. It really is amazing the results it produces. A gluten free diet is a great idea as well. I haven't researched the connection with gluten products and it's effects on eczema, but a gluten free diet is a great thing for anyone wanting to improve their diet & overall health. I'm praying for Tim. Feel free to ask for any anything, and please keep me updated.

Dr. Greg, Will definitely keep you posted. Thanks muchly for your prayers. I may need to reach out to you in the future. I am keeping you on my list. He is scheduled for an immunologist/allergist on Oct. 4th. I'll be anxious to see what he says also. God bless and know how much your advice is appreciated.

Peppersalt responded:
Take Pentaphyte P-5 and Psora capsules thrice daily for three weeks after food. Apply Pentaphyte P-5 creme once every half an hour. After three weeks make it twice daily for two weeks.After two weeks make it once daily until the problem disappears ( these are Ayurvedic medicines ). Avoid dairy products Milk and citrus fruits.You will be OK.

SusanCrawford9000 replied to Peppersalt's response:
Dear Peppersalt: Interesting...will try anything at this point.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

I THINK I HAVE FOUND A CURE
PEOPLE READ MY RESPONSE CALLED "I HAVE FOUND A CURE" it is an actual description of how, not a link to some pay site it cured it for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.