Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thick toe nail
char7777 posted:
My large right toe nail is always thick. I've had problems and it got
infected and had some of the toel nail trimmed off. The foot doctor said I have a toe nail fungus and did treat me with lamisil. While taking the lamisil it looked better after several months. But now
I am off the lamisil for some time now and it is starting to look bad again. The nail is thick and bothers. I really don't want to get back on lamisil again - because I really don't think it cleared it 100%. I am
thinking about the laser treatment but not to sure about how successful it is. They told me one treatment is all I need - then in 6 months I should start seeing a good result. What would you recommend?

Thanks

kdseven responded:
I will just tell you what worked for me when I had toenail fungus. My big toenails were so bad, they were turning black underneath. Everyday when I showered (I would not do this in a bath situation, as you could spread the fungus around) I would use a dedicated fungus brush and scrub around and under the affected nails, and especially around the cuticle. After turning off the water and while still standing in the shower stall, I put hydrogen peroxide on all my toes and just let them air dry. I kept doing this every time I bathed until my toenails grew out completely. This did work for me and the fungus has not returned, but I have been very careful about public showers and pools since then and wear flip flops when I'm not at home, and make sure to disinfect them after. If friends with questionable toes use your bathtub or shower, scrub it down. Hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.