Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stubborn acne
MRK18 posted:
Hello, my name is Mark. Since my teenage years i've suffered from severe acne which has lead me to take what seems like every medication available. Long story short, i just finished my third round of accutane back in april(4/2011) and unfortunately my acne is starting to return. However i have noticed that im only breaking out aoround my mouth and chin area. My derm prescribed me doxycycline at a dosage of 2 pills per day (50 mg each pill) in which I have noticed no results whatsoever. Just the other day i had some bad acne around my upper lip and from the usual frustration of having to deal with it again, I decided taking 2 pills instead of the usual 1 in the morning(basically twice the dosage recommended) Then in the evening I took two more. So i took about 200 mg instead of 100 which had no results at all. So my question is (finally): Was my dosage too much or given my history of severe acne, acceptable? Im tired of going in circles with all this medicine and i just want to make it stop! Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mark,

Acne is a frustrating condition, I am sorry you are still struggling with it!

Unfortunately it is impossible to know or understand the dosage without knowing more about your medical history and also an exam.

Why don't you call your dermalogist office and ask for a little more appointment time to talk about your frustrations and explore all avenues of treatment. If it is difficult to schedule, see if you can talk with the doctor over the phone.

Were you taking Accutane or the generic med? This link to Accutane explains "If severe acne returns, a second course of treatment may be started after you have stopped taking the drug for 2 months."

Our Acne Health Center may also be helpful in preparing you to talk with your doctor.

Please keep us posted,
Elizabeth

kdseven responded:
Some years ago, my adult brother had severe acne on his back. His doctor prescribed Retin-A liquid, which helped him a lot. You may want to ask your doctor about it.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.