Stubborn acne
MRK18 posted:
Hello, my name is Mark. Since my teenage years i've suffered from severe acne which has lead me to take what seems like every medication available. Long story short, i just finished my third round of accutane back in april(4/2011) and unfortunately my acne is starting to return. However i have noticed that im only breaking out aoround my mouth and chin area. My derm prescribed me doxycycline at a dosage of 2 pills per day (50 mg each pill) in which I have noticed no results whatsoever. Just the other day i had some bad acne around my upper lip and from the usual frustration of having to deal with it again, I decided taking 2 pills instead of the usual 1 in the morning(basically twice the dosage recommended) Then in the evening I took two more. So i took about 200 mg instead of 100 which had no results at all. So my question is (finally): Was my dosage too much or given my history of severe acne, acceptable? Im tired of going in circles with all this medicine and i just want to make it stop! Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks

ajohnson08099 responded:
How long have you taken the doxy? That can make a lot of difference. I know when I took it it took a whole minute to show results. Be careful about taking more than the recommended dose though, I was guilty of that myself.. If you take to much your risking actually lowering the affectiveness of the antibiotic all around. I would suggest talking to your Dr he really is the only one that can structure something for just you.

They usually only give you doxy if you have moderate to severe acne anyways.. So yes going from 2 pills a day to 4 is a little extreme. Also doxy has a tendency to make you really sick to your stomach if not taken right! I would really call and ask your Dr and see what he recommends!