Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
deep stretch marks
Anon_160551 posted:
Hello,

I have had very deep, noticeable stretch marks starting at my waist, and going down to almost my knees for years. I also have them on my breasts and starting above my armpits now. These are a huge embarrassment to me. It has also greatly affected intimacy with my husband. Not only do the lights have to be off, but I become very uncomfortable if he touches any of these areas. I know I'll never be able to make them disappear, but is there ANY way to at least make them feel smoother? Almost all of them are large indentations in my skin. Thank you very much.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Anon,

Your husband loves you tremendously, I promise. However, I can understand how the stretch marks make you feel insecure.

The scientific name for stretch marks is 'striae.' They are further classified into striae rubra (red stretch marks) or striae alba (white stretch marks).

Creams (in particular prescription strength retinoids) can only help striae by about 5%.

I would recommend laser treatments to make you feel more secure. For striae rubra we use a pulse dye laser and for striae alba we use a fractionated laser. Both require a series of treatments.

The laser will stimulate collagen and elastin making the stretch marks not only look better but also feel much smoother.

stretchyfernia responded:
I just recently gave birth to a baby boy, about 6months ago..I used shea butter during my 2nd trimester in my pregnancy until now...I noticed that I have lesser stretchmarks. You can try them yourself.

reneegavin2 replied to stretchyfernia's response:
I've tried every lotion out there, and none of them do anything. My last and final attempt is Hyaluronic Acid lotion, but I'm not holding my breath. I think I'm going to check into the laser, but I'm worried it might be too expensive.

stretchyfernia replied to reneegavin2's response:
hmmm. maybe you need to check out all possible options first reneegavin2...there are available options out there.

Anon_160551 replied to stretchyfernia's response:
I think that creams and lotions might work to help prevent or fade new stretch marks, but I truly don't think they will work in my situation. I have tried a TON.

stretchyfernia replied to Anon_160551's response:
How long and how did you acquire those stretch marks Anon? I had goiter operation before and the only thing that worked for my scar was Dermology. It was recommended by my in laws too. My scar was deep but now it doesn't show unless you look closer

Charleskeeler responded:
The stretchmarks onto your body could be eliminated entirely by way of laser skin treatment. This provides you with softer, younger-looking skin, plus an enhanced composition as well as skin tone. It's not at all an exceptionally challenging procedure, since laser procedure doesn't involve any kind of anesthesia. Since there is almost no preparation mandatory, it's also much easier to maintain your wreck developed during the treatment. The laser technique consumes much less time & attempts, which in turn boost its benefits for the elimination of stretch marks.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.