Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    please help inflamation
    An_241064 posted:
    have a spot that i presume was going to be a pimple as I am on my cycle, and like every other time I break out. I see this pimple forming and I think nothing of it (wash my face and put acne meds on my face)( monday)... tuesday it feels sore and i think well duh it is going to rise to the surface ( continue rinsing and putting medication all over my face) Wednesday morning I wake up and it looks like someone has punched me.. my lower eye area and side of nose is all inflamed.. I could barely see out my left eye, as the day went on it reduced in puffiness.... what do I do? should I go see a doctor?
    Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
    Dear An_241064,

    You may have a chronic small acne cyst in the area. A cyst is a collection of dead skin cells enclosed in a sac structure. These acne cysts are very hormonally responsive thus the flare around your period. A few options include spot treatment with an OTC benzoyl peroxide cream or gel or salicylic acid.

    If this indeed is a cyst that keep recurring, you may want to see a derm - we can put a small, relatively painless injection of cortisone into the cyst and it shrinks (and often goes away forever!) within 24- 48 hours.

    Personal story- my best friend had an acne cyst on her cheek, I did a quick injection of it in a restroom of a Manhattan restaurant. Just at the moment that I was injecting, a woman walked in and gave us the funniest look! We were both pretty embarrassed but my bf's cyst did go away by the next day

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Tea Tree Oil helps
    I got have a keloid scar from the chickenpox on my chest. I 've had this scar for 26 years and have tried many things from silcone sheets ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.