Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
please help inflamation
An_241064 posted:
have a spot that i presume was going to be a pimple as I am on my cycle, and like every other time I break out. I see this pimple forming and I think nothing of it (wash my face and put acne meds on my face)( monday)... tuesday it feels sore and i think well duh it is going to rise to the surface ( continue rinsing and putting medication all over my face) Wednesday morning I wake up and it looks like someone has punched me.. my lower eye area and side of nose is all inflamed.. I could barely see out my left eye, as the day went on it reduced in puffiness.... what do I do? should I go see a doctor?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An_241064,

You may have a chronic small acne cyst in the area. A cyst is a collection of dead skin cells enclosed in a sac structure. These acne cysts are very hormonally responsive thus the flare around your period. A few options include spot treatment with an OTC benzoyl peroxide cream or gel or salicylic acid.

If this indeed is a cyst that keep recurring, you may want to see a derm - we can put a small, relatively painless injection of cortisone into the cyst and it shrinks (and often goes away forever!) within 24- 48 hours.

Personal story- my best friend had an acne cyst on her cheek, I did a quick injection of it in a restroom of a Manhattan restaurant. Just at the moment that I was injecting, a woman walked in and gave us the funniest look! We were both pretty embarrassed but my bf's cyst did go away by the next day

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.