Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
the bleeding won't stop!
An_241070 posted:
I have had a really odd problem for the last few years,and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this problem. I know what you are all thinking, but you are wrong. I've had what looks like a little zit forming on the bridge of my nose for about 5 years now. I'm 40 by the way.However when I squeeze it or scratch the "head" off, it start to steadily bleed and won't stop, even after many minutes of direct pressure, just a tiny hole on my nose with blood profusely running out of it. This happened again to me yesterday, however, this time the blood was actually spraying out of the hole on the bridge of my nose, so much so that it actually hit the adjacent wall. Once it does stop, which takes a while, it goes right back to looking like a forming blemish, and is hard to keep concealed. It's not bulky, but does appear like a forming zit, that's the only way I can describe it. What is causing this? It's almost as if instead of my blood vessels being connected to the rest, this one is trying to make it's own escape route out the bridge of my nose!! HELP!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

Do not despair my dear- this is actually a VERY common problem. It sounds like you have a condition called an angioma. This is a broken blood vessel that bleeds with minimal trauma. It can also bleed based on hormonal changes or stress.

Angiomas can form on their own (there is a genetic predisposition) or given the location on your nose, from a prior acne spot/ cyst that damaged the underlying vessels.

Angiomas are very treatable. Your dermatologist can discuss the options but the most common treatment strategies are electrodesiccation or vascular laser:
- Electrodesiccation: this uses pinpoint electric energy to seal the broken blood vessel. You may have a little scabbing for a few days following treatment and may require up to 3 treatments.
-Vascular laser treatment: Specific lasers target just the broken blood vessels without damaging the skin. Side effects can include bruising and again a series of treatments may be required.

I urge you to make an appointment with your derm soon- you will be SO HAPPY when the spot is gone!

Personal story: when I was a teen I had a pimple on the side of my nose that developed into one of these angiomas. It would bleed and scab and make me feel so self-conscious. When I was stressed it always seemed to get worse! The day before one of my critical medical school interviews it opened up and bled and looked terrible- I was so embarrassed. I felt that everyone was looking at my nose spot and not focussing on my hard work and credentials.

Finally, at the age of 26 when I started my dermatology training at Columbia, I had one of my colleagues do the electrodesiccation procedure. The spot scabbed for a few days and then completely disappeared and never came back- yeay!!!

I wish I had done it many years before - it was simple and relatively painless.

Good luck

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.