Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Burning rash on hands and feet after fever
archangelmike posted:
I've had this for years, but it seems to get worse as I get older. Sometimes (not every time), either during or after a fever (even a lower grade fever), I will develop a rash that covers the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. It will also sometimes develop on my shins, inner thighs, armpits and trunk.

There is no texture to it, just a severe redenning of the skin, and primarily on my hands and feet, it is EXTREMELY tender, to the point that any contact makes them feel like they're burning.

I have yet to find any information on this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear archangelmike,
It sounds like you're getting a viral exanthem, which is a fancy way of saying a rash from a systemic viral infection. There's nothing to do to prevent it, except not to get sick. Usually the hands and feet will peel completely after this kind of rash. Hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.