Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dark patches of dry skin what is it?
spyu79 posted:
It started as a small area below my armpit that just appeared suddenly. I just thought it was a random dry spot, but over the course of a few months it covers the entire right side from my arm pit down to the bottom of my ribs.

It is not painful and does not itch, but the skin is discolored and a dark brown and looks like it's partially peeling. It also feels dry and tight in that area. Now I also have it along my upper back. I don't know what's causing it to spread. If I put lotion on it, it seems to calm the symptoms slightly, but it doesn't go away.

I've looked and looked and can't find anything that resembles the symptoms I have. Help please!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Spyu79,

From your desciption, the most common skin condition that you may have is a condition called lichen simplex chronicus (lsc). This occurs when eczema or dry skin is rubbed or scratched and the skin thickens and discolors.

You should schedule an appointment with your derm for treatment otherwise the condition typically does continue to spread.

Do not despair, if treated in a timely manner the thickening and discoloration will definitely resolve!

I hope that helps

MANNEQUiN replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Hi,

I got the same problem , but with mine .. i already had on my neck , and even in my breast and i already had this for 5 years, does it possible to still get treated? Thanks.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.