Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My skin just won't heal
simpledude posted:
I am hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice.

I have always had decent skin, sometimes a bit dry, but never any acne issues or anything really difficult to deal with. Earlier this year my face broke out in what I thought was acne. So I treated it like acne, washed every day, used acne soaps, etc... Still wouldn't clear up. I finally went to see a doctor (clinic / not derm) who gave me some acne cream and some pills that were supposed to help fight it from inside. But it didn't seem to help.

I will describe what the issue is. First let me say that the problem is only isolated on my face. They are red white head like bumps that take ages to go away. As soon as I clean up one area, they appear somewhere else. Like a game of whack-a-mole. It started on my forehead, then eventually jumped to my cheeks and around my nose. Now it is mostly cleared up except for a few spots around my hairline and temple. But I am worried that it will spread again.

I finally went to derm a couple weeks ago and he gave me some medicine. Every morning I wash my face with hypoalergenic soap, then apply heparin cream, and the medicine the derm perscribed. This mostly feels like it is working, but hasn't cleared up 100%. And a few days ago a small patch returned around the temples which worries me. He also said what I already figured, this isn't acne, but a bacteria that went crazy on my face. I am going to see him again next week and give him an update.

So knowing that it is a bacteria I know that it can be cured. Which gives me hope. But what do I need to ask the derm for when I return next week. I will use whatever he gives me, but I want to see progress and I want it to go away. No relapses, no wasting time. Any ideas? Isn't there a cream that kills this stuff fast?

Thanks in advance, Simple Dude

4Watermonkeys responded:
I would ask that they tell you what the specific bacteria is - they may need to swab the skin and possibly run a culture in order to identify it. At least then your doctor can select a treatment that targets that specific bacteria.

Alfae responded:
Hi,

I think it's good that you went to the Dermatologist for treatment. In addition, I want you to access the events that took place right before the onset of the last patch that returned around the temple areas. Check to see if you may something in you home that you use on a regular basis, like your phone. When you return to the Dermatologist ask about contact dermatitis and other chemical reactions from products we use in our homes. When I use my cell phone sometimes my hand rashes due to the nickel content.

I truly hope this is resolved quickly and completely for you with some preventive measures.

Sincerely,

Bleidym responded:
What we eat has a direct connection with skin problems. Dairy products and carbonated drinks, also lack of certain nutrients in your diet. Acupuncture is a great approach because they treat the cause with herbs and heal it. I don't know where you are but City Pulse Acupuncture in San Francisco happens to be amazing. Good luck.

larsstarscanary responded:
I'm not bragging (because I do have severely dry skin), but I never had acne. My mom and her sister always said to drink plenty of water and never to touch your face with your hands/fingers, and certainly never pick!

I don't know if you've ever done this, but just in case, I wanted to add it.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.