Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scabies with no physical contact, how is this possible?
BrightRedWagon posted:
Three months ago I developed an itchy rash on the back of my neck. I went to the dermatologist a month ago and he diagnosed me with lichen simplex chronicus and prescribed Valerate. A week after that (2 months after the original neck rash) the rash intensified greatly and spread/jumped to both elbows, both hips and behind both knees, very symmetrical. I went back to the doctor and he said I have scabies. This is despite me living alone and having no intimate physical contact with anyone, not even hand holding. Even my casual contact is extremely limited to a very occasional hello/good bye fully clothed hug. He gave me a cortisone shot, prescribed permithrian, triamcinalone and 10 mgs zyrtec. The next morning the rash seemed a little better, mostly the inflammation lessened. However the rash has now spread to my back, is creeping towards the front of my neck and I am still getting outbreaks of it here and there, mostly, but not always symmetrically bilateral. The itch is almost unbearable, I'm scratchy myself bloody and am now afraid of getting a secondary infection. I gave myself a second dose of permithrian last night (9 days after the first). And, yes, I am washing everything in hot water.

In the several months before this diagnosis I have had virtually no physical contact with anyone, no movies or restaurants, haven't shared bed linens, haven't tried any clothes on, don't know anyone else who has this, I'm the only one who uses my chair at work, company has been limited to a couple of family members none of who have this. Also, the rash is NOT in the typical scabies spots, that is, under arms, breasts, wrists, hands, feet, groin, waist, buttocks. Nothing at all in any of those. However, it is possible I have some burrows. I just can't tell. I saw my PCP this week and she said agrreed with the derm - it's scabies - and thinks I have burrows. No one has looked at any of this under a microscope.

Can you tell me how someone can catch this when they have such limited contact? I have gone over and over places I have been in the last 4-5 months and unless one can get this at the hair dresser or from libray books or from the grocery cart I can't figure out where it came from. My biggest concern is that the doctors are so close minded that they are missing it being something seriously worse (like cancer or a weakened immune system.)

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.