Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Insanely Painful Red Bump On Upper Leg
scarlingdarling posted:
Okay, well I am a 25 year old female and here is my issue:

4 days ago I notced a very small bump on my leg, almost center of my thigh. It didn't itch and didn't really hurt, it was just there. It looked like pimple pretty much. I didn't really think anything of it. The next day it was larger, hurt a bit if pressed, and the area around it started turning red. The head to it looked like a blister had popped almost. There is the smallest hole to the left where puss sometimes creeps out at the slowest pace.

After that it just went downhill.

The past two days have been downright awful. I am in pain. I mean want to cry and scream out in pain. Not every second but when it's there... It feels like there are tiny pins stabbing me underneath my skin every which way. To it, from it, everywhere. The whole middle of my thigh (front) is killing me. If pressed hard enough I almost want to either pass out or vomit. I can hardly walk as pressure from the cloth of my pants stings. But it doesn't even have to be touched to start feeling that way either, it can come on suddenly and just feel like pins and needles.

The bump itself is much larger than it was, it's bigger than a pea but slightly smaller than a general marble. The raised part is bruised looking, dark redish-purple. The surrounding area that is red and almost as painful to any touch is about the size of an old Silver Dollar. It raised quite a bit, worse than any sting or bite from any insect I've ever had by far. You can tell exactly where it is if looking at my leg with sleep pants to jeans over it. The raised part looks filmy, kind of like a blister way.

I do not take any medication, Tylenol if I get a headache is about as much as that goes. I have not changed any soaps, shampoos, conditioners, body wash, lotion, ect. I haven't had any changes in my diet or lifestyle. I have no allergies I know of. I was fine before I had gone to bed the night before I noticed the bump and don't remember anything possibly biting me or anything like that.

Also, this may or may not be related, but yesterday I also got randomly sick. I was fine today but yesterday I was out of it. I was dizzy almost... or rather felt misplaces/unablanced, I was irritable, I had an upset stomach, the works. It came on out of nowhere in the early afternoon.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I was raised in a family with a bunch of hypochondriacs so of course something big enough comes along I carry on the family tradition of pretty much wanting to freak out.

scarlingdarling responded:
UPDATE:

This morning I was in the shower and my boyfriend came in to the bathroom and pulled the curtain back to ask me a question and was checking out my sore, he believes it would be a spider bite. He continues to offer to pop it but I can hardly stand anything touching it and even if nothing is as stated.

Also, today the head of it was much more open and clear. The sides were more pronounced for the circle around and the middle part seemed bigger.

It's also bleeding. I am wearing white sleep pants and has been staining it with blood.

scarlingdarling responded:
ANOTHER UPDATE:

After a shower, I was applying a heated cloth to the area. In the shower I noticed the middle almost "poking out" like it was ready to burst. Against all good notions, I decided to poke and prod at it, eventually squeezing out a good amount of the pus and blood. And I mean a good amount of it came rushing out. It was not something I would choose to see. It was a mixture of clear and white pus along with a lot of blood.

The swelling went down to where it's hardly risen and the pain decreased dramatically though is slightly still there. The dollar size redness that was around the center remains and is very hard.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to scarlingdarling's response:
Hi scarlingdarling,

Good to hear the pain has decreased, but sorry to hear you have been dealing with this. It been a week since your post and hope you have had this checked out by your doctor.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine what's going on and what's causing this without an exam, so here are a few slideshows to see if anything looks or sounds familiar.

Adult Skin Problems
Identifying Bugs and Bug Bites
Visual Guide to Boils

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

mrquigley responded:
I am a 60 year old male in excellent shape and condition. I have no other conditions. A perfect description of the same condition I have on my right leg right about hip level. But I have had three of them. One showed up about 2 months ago on the front of my thigh close to my groin. I treated it with Hydrogen peroxide and forced myself to scape off the mildly puss filled white head. (Like a small drop). I tried squeezing it after "popping" it, but nothing came out. So, I treated it with some DMSO for a few minutes and then finished it off with an anti-biotic ointment several times a day for a few days and it went away, but left a dark small spot that is getting more faint everyday. Then another showed up less than 2 inches away from the original. I didn't notice it until I was in the shower and took the opportunity to scrub it with one of those scrubby things. Bad choice. Rubbed it raw. But Idid the same with the Hydrogen Peroxide, DMSO, and antibiotic ointment. Same result. Now I have a third one about 6 inches nearly to the outside edge of my thigh (so not related to the groin area). I am treating it the same way - as we speak - and am expecting the same result. But what the heck is it? Super sensitive, gets the white puss head, when scraped off and cleaned and left open it will "juice up" with a clear fluid, and I will eventually cover it with antibiotic ointment and a bandaid. But where is it coming from and what causes it? I am clean, very hygenic, and have no other issues. This one is kind of a nuisance because it is on the side of my thigh I it makes it impossible to sleep on that side. I am checking the "watchlist" on this because I prefer prevention to treatment. And these things do take a considerable amount of time to completely disappear. Help and advice appreciated.

mrquigley replied to scarlingdarling's response:
Yeah, me too. It is like a miniature boil, I think. Bug bite, I doubt it. I have had 3, they are all too close to each other and I don't think bugs are that territorial, plus the three have occurred over a period of time where I have washed the sheets at least 10 times.

mrquigley replied to scarlingdarling's response:
Boil. Definitely boil (on me). Matches the boil pictures and the treatment I was using closely matched what they recommended on this site. I just tend to use DMSO for a lot of things. What threw me was the size. I always thought boils were much larger, but these are kind of small, according to your description and mine. Visual Guide to Boils As a guy, I could not resist scraping the "head" off and then treating. But that can be risky and open you up to infection. I think the hydrogen peroxide, DMSO, and antibiotic ointment take care of that. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.