Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Rash on stomach/inner elbow/wrists?
MarissaH_ posted:
This is the exact question I asked on Yahoo but haven't got many answers, so I figured someone here would know what's up.

Okay, So I've had this since I was very young. I don't remember exactly when it started but I know I haven't had it forever. The rash itself is a big blotch of red/dry skin with little bumps and is very itchy. It pops up on my wrists, inner elbow (Not the elbow but the soft skin on, like, the inner side) my stomach, and occasionally on my inner thighs. It doesn't show up on my thighs as much anymore but still everywhere else. I've gone to the dermatologist a lot as a kid and they never REALLY identified it, and all the lotions they give me never helped. Most lotions I put on it make it burn, turn more red, and itch more (I know fragrance free lotions are better but it doesn't stop the itch or make it go away). If I try really hard to leave it alone it will go away in about a month or two, then show up spontaneously again out of nowhere. I'm allergic to metals and sometimes if I wear metal a rash will pop up that is exactly like what I'm describing, but even if I don't wear any metals it will still pop up. It's been so long since I've seen a dermatologist so maybe someone knows what it is now? I've just ignored it my whole life and just said 'it's something I have to live with, but now I'm sick of it. I want it to go away. I want to be able to wear a two piece swimsuit without people looking at my stomach and thinking I'm infecting the friggen pool. It is NOT contagious by the way, no one I know has ever had it, or gotten any rashes from me. The only thing that doesn't burn when I put it on the rash is tea tree oil. It soothes it a bit but doesn't take away the redness or itchiness. And if you didn't know pure tea tree oil/or lotions with just/mostly tea tree oil aren't cheap so I can't afford to keep buying this stuff, especially if it doesn't even make it go away.. what is this. why wont it go away permanently, why does it keep popping back up. HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Marissa,

From the description, it sounds like an eczema type of condition. Eczema tends to affect the antecubital fossae (the soft part of the inner elbow as you described). Eczema comes and goes and burns and itches.

Try an over the counter hydrocortisone 1% OINTMENT (not the cream - the cream has many preservatives in it that can inflame the skin) twice daily over the weekend and report back please.

I would love to hear an update

I hope that helps!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

WHAT DO U DO WHEN THE CHILDRENS SERVERE ECEMA
I HAVE TWO GRANDCHILDRENS WITH EXTREME ECZEMA. THE GIRL CRY &SCRATCH ,THE BOY IS A 8 MOS AND HE SCRATCH TILL HE BLEED I PUT THE CREAM ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.