Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
razor bumps?ingrown hair?skin tags?
thebakesale posted:
Hey everyone. I have been shaving my chest and genital area for a while now. Because I'm not the best shaver, and because the hair down below is a bit more coarse and harder to manage than chest or facial hair, I seem to have made a few small mistakes. There are a few bumps that look exactly like skin tags above my penis/below my navel. They don't hurt or itch, and they are not read or irritated, but they do bleed if I shave over them because they seem to be just a part of my skin rather than a pimple or scab. These bumps have been there for a long time. They have not gotten worse but have not gotten better. I want to get rid of them! Any advice? I can send a "Safe" picture of the bumps if needed. Thanks!

MeVenus4 responded:
Hello Sir, I am almost positive I have an answer for you, but it might not be exactly what you wanted to hear. So, I'll say I'm sorry in advance if I'm correct b/c I'd prefer to be wrong. My boyfriend had the same exact thing. His began at the base of his penis and started with one bump then spread alittle. I'm a health freak so I convinced him to drop his pants and finally show a Doctor. The Dr. informed him that they were a sign of HPV in men. He also said it's not as common in men to have a sign. The Dr. explained that it most likely came from him shaving and either irritating or cutting himself. He explained that the irritation can cause it to surface. The cut could have also caused it to spread by the blood being passed over the skin by the razor. The Dr. removed the bumps for him and gave him a cream to put on those areas. When they were first removed he was scared he would have scars, but it just looks bad at first. It looked bad for about 2 weeks. Now you could never tell he had them removed, no sign of a scar left. I'm just thankful he found out b/c I went to my Dr. and was tested. I tested positive which of course upset me, but I'd rather have the knowledge. So, if your dating anyone please follow this through b/c it can cause serious problems for women more so then what happens to men. I hope I helped! Good Luck!

thebakesale responded:
I appreciate your reply. How did the doctor remove them? And what kind of cream was it? I feel like if I have some simple bumps due to HPV, I could remove them myself with some sort of wart remover, correct? I just hate the doctor...

darlyn05 responded:
NO! NO wart remover. You need to be sure what it is b/4 you start treating it. I get slightly raised reddened bumps from shaving or waxing that is really an ingrown hair buried deeper under the skin. I use a loufa pad/sponge to cleanse and raise the hair closer to the surface so I can extract it. HPV for women can be very serious. I'm not sure how it affects men. Even OTC wart removers won't get rid of genital warts.

bluebrry responded:
theres no need to freak out about this being HPV - you need to get a blood test for this and it is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS so dont have intercourse or oral sex without seeing a doctor. DO NOT USE OTC WART REMOVER! IT WILL NOT HELP! please see a doctor for a PROFESSIONAL OPINION. it may be a condition known as Folliculitis which is essentially ingrown hairs or something else. dont try to self diagnose or self treat without a DOCTORS OPINION.

joygram responded:
darlyn05 I had the same problem with shaving until I found SPA SOLUTIONS for Women. It stopped the ingrown hairs and other irritations the first time I used it. Might be worth a try spasolutionsgalaxy.com and happy shaving or waxing

joygram responded:
correction: the site is skinsolutiongalaxy.com my mistake

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.