Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Mysterious Rash spreading through family...
    An_246185 posted:
    A few years ago, my husband developed a strange rash on his back, chest and legs. He has a nervous system disorder, and is heat sensitive, so we assumed it was related to that...the rash would become bright red and raised with heat. It isn't painful, doesn't itch, and isn't even noticeable except for the big red splotches on his body. Suddenly, last year, I began developing the same rash, in the same places, but mainly on my back. It acts the same way it does on my husband. Then after my son was born, I noticed that my son has the same rash- in the same places- back, chest, and legs. It obviously doesn't cause any physical is just strange, except a friend suggested it might be Lyme disease. From what I can tell, it doesn't look anything like a Lyme disease rash, and Lyme disease isn't transmittable (is it?). We have no idea what it is, and we don't have health insurance. I've done a ton of research online and looked at hundreds of photos, and it looks like nothing I've seen. I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of this or has any thoughts?
    An_246262 responded:
    Sometimes the blotches can be HFM Disease, I would just research it, not sure thats what your experiencing, but its very common and even in adults.
    Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
    Dear An_246185,
    Unfortunately, anyone giving a suggestion without seeing the rash on at least one of you would be guessing. I am concerned about the possibility of Lyme disease-this can be associated with neurological problems, and although not contagious from person to person, commonly affects more than one family member because of exposure to the Lyme tick. The only way to work this out is to go to a doctor.
    An_246185 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
    Thank seems like that is what we need to do at this point. Would you suggest a dermatologist over a GP?
    Mary Ruth Buchness, MD replied to An_246185's response:
    Since you don't have insurance, go directly to a dermatologist. An GP is likely to refer you to a dermatologist anyway.

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    New to Acne or is it even acne?
    I'm 19 years old. I have never had acne a day in my life. ever. ever ever ever ever. In the past month or less, I have developed small ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.