Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Mysterious Rash spreading through family...
An_246185 posted:
A few years ago, my husband developed a strange rash on his back, chest and legs. He has a nervous system disorder, and is heat sensitive, so we assumed it was related to that...the rash would become bright red and raised with heat. It isn't painful, doesn't itch, and isn't even noticeable except for the big red splotches on his body. Suddenly, last year, I began developing the same rash, in the same places, but mainly on my back. It acts the same way it does on my husband. Then after my son was born, I noticed that my son has the same rash- in the same places- back, chest, and legs. It obviously doesn't cause any physical discomfort...it is just strange, except a friend suggested it might be Lyme disease. From what I can tell, it doesn't look anything like a Lyme disease rash, and Lyme disease isn't transmittable (is it?). We have no idea what it is, and we don't have health insurance. I've done a ton of research online and looked at hundreds of photos, and it looks like nothing I've seen. I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of this or has any thoughts?

An_246262 responded:
Sometimes the blotches can be HFM Disease, I would just research it, not sure thats what your experiencing, but its very common and even in adults.

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear An_246185,
Unfortunately, anyone giving a suggestion without seeing the rash on at least one of you would be guessing. I am concerned about the possibility of Lyme disease-this can be associated with neurological problems, and although not contagious from person to person, commonly affects more than one family member because of exposure to the Lyme tick. The only way to work this out is to go to a doctor.

An_246185 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
Thank you...it seems like that is what we need to do at this point. Would you suggest a dermatologist over a GP?

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD replied to An_246185's response:
Since you don't have insurance, go directly to a dermatologist. An GP is likely to refer you to a dermatologist anyway.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

I THINK I HAVE FOUND A CURE
PEOPLE READ MY RESPONSE CALLED "I HAVE FOUND A CURE" it is an actual description of how, not a link to some pay site it cured it for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.