Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
shingles
An_247021 posted:
Two weeks ago,I was diagnosed with shingles on the left side of my head and my eye. I never got the rash, but the pain is still intense. This is the second time I have been diagnosed with shingles and its in the exact same place as the first time. My question is is it common to get shingles more than once and if so, is that possibly why it is so painful this time?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

It is POSSIBLE to get shingles twice. However, it is more common to get a herpetic infection in the exact same location. Is your eruption definitely shingles? Or, could it be a herpes eruption of the skin ( a related virus to shingles that also lives in the superficial nerves).

Either way, it is important to get started on an oral antiviral early, as early treatment helps decrease pain. Call you doc ASAP and he/ she can call in some medication.

I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.