Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
excessive underarm and feet sweating
An_247143 posted:
I'm 27 years old, and have never had any problems like this in the past. About a month ago, I noticed my feet were sweating excessively. I usually run/bike every other day, and have never had a problem with sweating like this at all. It just started all of a sudden. I tried using a foot powder both on my feet and in my shoes, but it didn't help. I also tried a foot spray, but again it didn't help. I can put powder on my feet after getting ready in the morning, and by the time I get to my car, I can already feel my feet sweating.

Along with this, my underarms have also started sweating excessively. I tried switching deodorants, but that didn't help at all. I have tried two kinds of "clinical" strength over the counter anti-perspirants, but again they don't help. I will put some on after taking a shower in the morning, and by the time I put my shirt on, it's already soaking through.

The foot problem isn't as much of a visual problem, but it does start to smell a little but at my office. The armpit sweating actually doesn't smell at all, but obviously is embarrasing to look at.

The office I work in is actually kept very cold, and again, I've never had this problem in my life ever.

Just looking for any advice that anyone can give. I figured this might have just been due to the hot summer we have had, but in the last few weeks, temperatures have been back to normal, and it's still happening.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

You should go see your primary doctor for a thyroid test (the thyroid is a gland that controls numerous body functions). Given the relatively sudden onset of your symptoms, it would be a good idea to make sure there is no underlying physiologic cause.

Another tip is to apply the clinical strength deodarant at nighttime. This allows it to form microscopic blockages of the sweat glands.

If that does not help, there are pills and injections that can help significantly too.

I hope that helps

Liammama responded:
Hi,

I have also similar experience for a long time of excessive sweating. This occurs in my face and in my head. With just a slight movement/activities, the sweat coming from my head and also my face come rolling profusely until my neck which makes it wet - hair,face,neck..much more the wet and sweat volume rolling if i moved a lot or having a presentation with the client. This sight of mine is so embarassing when all of them are looking at my face with this condition.

Please help me by your advise.

Thank you.
Suzeth

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Liammama's response:
Hi Suzeth -

I can see how uncomfortable this can be. You didn't mention your age or if you have have talked with your doctor about this.

Let us know and we can see if we can provide additional information.

Elizabeth

Liammama replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your reply.
I am 36 yrs. old and this has been happening to me quite long already.. i think 5~6 yrs...i have not tried yet to discuss this with our doctor...

Thanks,
Suzeth

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Liammama's response:
Hi Liammama -

I recently talked with my doctor about hot flashes, so I was wondering if you were postmenopausal. She also said if the sweating was becoming embarrassing or uncontrollable to come back to talk about solutions. Unfortunately, we did not talk about what the solutions would be.

Since this is affecting your presentations please contact your doctor to talk about what's causing this. These links may spark some questions -

Stop Excessive Sweating: From Causes to Cures
Excessive Sweating: A Sticky Subject
Is Your Excessive Sweating Caused by a Medical Problem?

Hope this helps and please keep us posted,
Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.