Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Swollen Lip w/pimple
tou_shoua posted:
Hi, yesterday I had a pimple right under the bottom lip of my mouth on the left side. I tried bursting it but not much happened...all i did was made it hurt worst and looked even redder. Today I woke up with that side of the lip swollen from the outside and inside of my lip. What can I do to get rid of the swelling? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...thanks...

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Try some cool compresses (the cool constricts the blood vessels to help with the swelling). Also try taking some claritin/allegra/or zyrtec to help with the swelling (these medications reduce the amount of the chemical histamine- the primary cause of swelling). A dot of hydrocortisone cream can help too.

Alternatively, if you can get in with a derm, we can put a small injection in the area and it can help. Here is a link:
http://desidermatology.com/2012/01/29/the-models-secret-revealed-cortisone-shots-for-acne-cysts-2/

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Got Eczema or Roseaca? caring help is on the way-.... heres a tip for you!
LIMU (Gentle seaweed cleanser) for men and Women and safe for kids too! remove eye makeup and shave with this popular daily cleanser from ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.