Skip to content
Need help identifying rash - 3 diff drs and 3 diff opinions
An_247268 posted:
Here is what I remember or know.
Status today:
No Pain. Not very itchy exept ankle. Red rash — blanches, located on buttocks, leg upper and lower leg, right lower leg, left upper back and wraps to left breast. Forms lines or tracks down left leg and buttocks in back, but "scattered pattern on front left leg and right back leg.

2-3 weeks prior to rash, had a bad headache at work and signed off early. Laid down and experienced chills. I didn't take temperature. Felt fine the next day.
July 27-28, I had a long weekend and went swimming in the pool at the Four Seasons for girl's weekend. No rash.
-------Week 1---------
Around Tues. or Wed., July 31/Aug 1st noticed bumps on my back left leg. I thought it was heat rash....Dallas was 100+ and air conditioning was not cooling well.
During the next weekend, rash was still there but localized and not awful. I was not yet alarmed and went swimming at friend's pool on Sunday Aug. 5th.
-------Week 2---------
Aug 6th, rash spreading and looking worst on back left thigh and now spreading. Found rash on left back and extending to chest. Checked with friend who was at the Four Seasons with me. She had no rash. Called doctor.
Aug 7th, saw another physician in my primary care doctor's office. He said he thought I had contact dermatitis. Now on buttocks, thigh, back & chest…all left side. Dr. suggested that I came in contact with something (chemical or pesticide) while in swimsuit and while taking off spread to my back/chest. It will clear self and if not better come back in a week.
-------Week 3---------
Saturday night, Aug. 11th my leg and chest started to itch more and I did research on web. Thought it looked like shingles.
On Sunday, Aug 12th, took myself to the 24 hr. care. (ended up as a 24 hr emergency care.) Dr. at 24hr care diagnosed me with Shingles, but noted that it did not look "angry" enough. (I had no pain, but signature "band" from front to back and rash only on 1 side of the body.) Prescribed Acyclovir which I have been taking since, and Lortab which I have not needed since no pain. Told pain would follow…..I was upset and a bit of panic set in.
Monday, Aug. 13th, took day off work and rested. Sometime on Monday or Tues, I noticed the rash had now spread to the back of my right leg. No "band" on the right side….no pain……starting to wonder if this is something else besides Shingles. Make appointment with my own doctor.
Wed. Aug. 15th, see my Primary Care doctor. He examined and immediately said he was 100% confident the rash was not Shingles. Normally follows 1 Dermatome, not multiple and normally has pain.
After talking, I told him of the "chills" epidsode 2-3 weeks prior to rash. He said another doctor had recently seen 2 patients with a viral infection followed by a rash. Dr. suggested I wait til Monday and if not better, come in for blood work. Next step after that would be to see a derm.
Thurs. Aug. 16th started taking pictures and temp (97.3-97.9). Slight tingling feeling and slight diarrhea. Also had headache, but not constant and the weather had changed, so not uncommon. Rash is making me uneasy since don't know what it is or what is causing it.
------Week 4------
Rash seems a little faded on the back/chest, but itches on ankles where it last spread. Rash goes down leg in definite patterns.
Orig Site on 7-29 (Bumps, but not bad)

Entire leg and original site on 8-19

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon -

This does sound and looks frustrating, I am sorry to hear you have dealing with this for so long.

While waiting for others to respond, please have your primary care refer you or contact a dermatologist to have this evaluated.

In the meantime you can become more familiar with the diagnoses you have been given -

Contact Dermatitis
Shingles Health Center

Please keep us posted and hope you find answers soon,
Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.