Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Non-Itchy Rash on Neck Lasting for Months - Help!
Katieboo73 posted:
I've had a recurring rash on the right side of my neck for about five months now. It starts out as a small itchy area, maybe the size of a half dollar, right in the divet between collar bones. Now it has spread up to my neck and it's creeping along my shoulder. It's a collection of bumps, some dense and others just sporadic, but it also feels scaly when I touch it. It doesn't itch anymore, but the skin underneath is kind of sensitive and the skin underneath is also redder and more flushed than my other shoulder. It appears less red when I wake up in the morning, but it becomes REALLY red when I shower.

I went to a dermatologist about two months ago and he could not diagnose it as anything in particular. He gave me a prescription for steroid cream for daily application and I used BOTH tubes and it hasn't gotten better - like I said before, it's spread! I don't know what else to do - I've scheduled another dermatology appointment, but it's another month from now and I just want an answer of what could it be and how I can make it go away. I tried to post photos but the site won't let me upload them. Please help.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Katieboo,

What a frustrating problem! If prescription strength steroid cream has not cured the condition, I suggest seeing a dermatologist (either the same one you saw or another one) for a skin biopsy- this will give you a 100% answer as to what is going on inside of your skin and the best way to fix it. Generally, a biopsy is a simple procedure and leaves only a very small mark.

Please keep us posted.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Herbal Treatment For Actinic Keratosis
What is Actinic Keratosis? Actinic Keratosis is a skin disorder in which involves very small, elevated rough and reddish bumps on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.