Skip to content
Is this androgenic alopecia?
veritas20 posted:
A little background to begin with. I'm a 27-year-old man (birthday last month) in what I'd describe as relatively good health outside of the fact of some pretty severe fibromyalgia and insomnia that I've been dealing with for almost ten years, now. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs recreationally, and don't take any prescribed drugs regularly. I take 250mg of Magnesium, daily. I'm actually at the lower end of a normal BMI (5'11" and 138lbs), so I'm not even close to being overweight, let alone obese. My one major fault is that I'm far more sedentary than I should be.

Anyway, about two to three weeks ago seemingly out of nowhere I began brushing my hair - which is wavy and fairly thick - one morning, and noticed hair coming out with nearly every brush. Not clumps, or anything, but a pretty steady loss, about one per brush stroke, and all types of hair on my head from the long strands up top to very fine hair I'm not sure where it comes from. I know that hair comes out every once in awhile, but what was different and what made me panic, a bit, was that the hair coming out came out at the root and I saw the little "bulb" at the base, so this was essentially hair being pulled straight out at the root just by gentle/regular brush strokes.

From then on, it's been pretty steady. I notice it in the shower, and besides the pyschological shock of seeing it, what's worse is that it makes for more clean-up. What's confusing is that I don't see any appreciable hair loss, anywhere, despite how much is coming out. Nothing seems to be coming out in the swirl at the top of the crown, the front's not receeding, and the sides around the temple seem to not be losing anything, at all. Almost immediately, I added in 5,000 IU of Vitamin D-3 every other day because I heard that this could help, and also 27mg of Iron and a tablespoon of safflower or olive oil every day. I also got a blood work-up done on Monday, though, I didn't even tell my doctor about the hair loss, because she generally thinks all of my problems are aniexty because of my age.

Does this sound like androgenic alopecia? I'd always thought were it to hit me, it'd have done it far earlier. Does androgenic alopecia hit suddenly like this or does this sound more environment/health related? What kind of things outside of normal balding can do this? How about changes in thyroid fuctions? Is there any connection between fibromyalgia and balding? Seens fibromyalgia is inflammation, I thought this could be the case, but sense I've had it for so long, you'd think that it would have started the balding process much earlier.

I have to say, I'd never thought of myself as a vain person, but this has been very distressing since it's happening so early, having thought if it would hit me, it already had or would much later. I never thought it'd be so absolutely traumatizing to see your hair in the sink when you brush it, and then have the added insult of having to clean it all up. It's sad, but I'm almost hoping this is an environmental/diet thing, because at least then it'd be temporary and could be successfully treated.

Thanks in advance for help with a possible diagnosis/advice on how to get a diagnosis.

veritas20 responded:
I was thinking over the last few days if anything corresponded with my sudden hair loss. Well, actually, I just remember that I started drinking lemon water (heavy on the lemon) around the time this all started, not for any health reasons, really, but because I was looking for a replacement for some of my ice tea drinking during the day to cut down on caffiene.

Anyway, I went to look up hair loss and lemon detox and got differing answers some saying that the so-called cleaning of the liver could both promote hair growth and healthy hair, overall, and still yet other folks saying that the liver cleanse could actually disrupt hormones, in general, which could upset hair growth in particular.

I think I'm going to cut out the lemon water and see what happens.Does anyone have an opinion on this one way or the other?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Herbal Treatment For Actinic Keratosis
What is Actinic Keratosis? Actinic Keratosis is a skin disorder in which involves very small, elevated rough and reddish bumps on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.