Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Whole body itching
Jeff12345678 posted:
So for years I have had a problem with whole body itching. It has been controlled by taking Allegra every day. If I miss even one day, I start itching. It can be anywhere from my toes to my scalp. I will wake up in the middle of nite scratching my skin raw. But as long as I take Allegra I'm ok. I've been to quite a few doctors, tried various treatments, but nothing helped (except Allegra). The last Doctor explained that somethings just can't be explained. I haven't looked in a long time to see if there was any new information. So, really I guess two questions 1) any ideas of what causes my problem 2) any danger from taking Allegra every single day, year after year?
Thanks,
Jeff

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Jeff,

There is no reason for you to suffer with full body itching. There are many studies that show that itch, similar to pain, significantly reduces ones' quality of life.

1- Go see a derm and ask for a skin biopsy from the itchiest area. There may be an increase in special cells called mast cells or eosinophils or there may be some other disorder arising in the deeper layers of the skin.

2- There is no harm in taking Allegra daily- although over time it is theorized that the histamine receptors may not be as sensitive to the medication (but that does not seem to be the case since it is working for you!).

Please keep us posted. I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.