Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eczema & Keratosis Pilaris relation with food sensitivity
An_247908 posted:
I've experienced remarkable relief from my skin problems after eliminating gluten for a week.

I suspected that gluten may be the cause for my eczema and keratosis pilaris. Although, I've not been formally diagnosed with either of the condition, I'm self-diagnosed. (believe me, I live in a under-developed small city in India and doctors here are ignorant and don't seem to help me)

If I'm wrong and you think I may have a different condition by looking at the pics, please let me know.

I've eliminated gluten from my diet for a week and experienced very good improvement in my face acne (i'm using acne, because not I'm sure what it is). About 60% is gone.

I can also see improvements in my shoulder acne.

Today is the challenge day of the elimination diet, where I eat the gluten and see if the condition comes back.

Important note is that I DO NOT feel ANY other symptoms of gluten sensitivity like malnutrition, bloating etc. other than skin problems (and very slight gas after consuming wheat).

Before Pic (eating gluten):
Shoulder:

After Pics (no gluten for 1 week but I may have ingested some cross-contaminated gluten)
Shoulder:

Before Pic (eating gluten):
Face:

After Pics (no gluten for 1 week but I may have ingested some cross-contaminated gluten)
Face:

1. Do you agree that I have eczema and keratosis pilaris by looking at the pics?
2. Am I sensitive to gluten? / Should I eliminate gluten forever?
3. If yes, will I ever be able to eat gluten again?

virgohealthcoach responded:
In my opinion, it appears to be eczema on your shoulders and arms. Keratosis Pilaris typically shows up on the back of your arms and on your legs. It sometimes shows up on your hips, thighs, and buttocks. If you noticed the bumps disappeared when you were gluten-free, then unless you want the bumps... I would be gluten-free from now on. It's not a death sentence, just a different way of eating. As a Health Coach, I know some great resources if you are interested. http://www.virgohealthcoach.com

Leafs replied to virgohealthcoach's response:
Your condition does resemble Keratosis Pilaris. Some people with your condition benefit from using paraben free products - shampoo, soap and lotion. You may have an allergy to paraben. As for being gluten free, it certainly is helping with the eczema. I wouldn't restart eating gluten products. Many people react poorly to wheat. I am gluten free myself.

Wish you the best!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.