Skip to content
Help. . .small bumps on hands!
blindsolitude posted:
Ok, I have had these flesh or red colored bumps on my hands before and they normally go away. However, they have been on my hands for about a month. They almost look like pimples and are very small (think about the size of a tip of a ball point pen). They don't itch, burn, hurt, etc. They're just annoying and I don't know what they are.

Two days after Thanksgiving, I spilled detergent (ALL) on my left hand and didn't wash it off for 5 or so minutes. Could this cause it? Its on both my hands now.

I've been using maximum strength hydrocortisone cream for about 10 days. And really all its done has been reduce the redness on some of the bumps. My hands also feel dry.

I don't understand what this is. And I am concerned it may be contagious (I watch my 1 year old nephew). I don't believe they are warts. . . I've looked at TONS of pictures and nothing has looked like what is on my hands.

I've looked up some information and from what I COULD find, it could be: keratosis pilaris, keratosis palmoplantaris, acrokeratoelastoidosis, granuloma annulare, dyshidrosis (not severe), etc.

Please help. I have no idea what this is.

blindsolitude responded:
I should also add that, for the most part, I have to tilt my hands at an angle in the light to really get a look at the bumps since the majority of them are flesh colored.

Thanks!

And i realize that it is "impossible to diagnose via the internet," however, I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced the same.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there,

Please realize that it's not possible for anyone to be diagnosed over the internet. Please make an appointment with your doctor to find out what the skin bumps on your hands could be so that you can be diagnosed and treated if necessary.

Before your doctor's visit try using the Symptom Checker tool to pull up WebMD articles that may be relevant to you.

If you have sensitive skin and you are washing your hands all the time due to having a baby then try using cleansers that leave out coloring and fragrances and also try using hand creams that also leave out coloring and fragrances to see if that helps. A couple of lines that you may want to look at are Cerave and Cetaphil, you can find them at the drugstore. Your pharmacist should also be able to help you find unscented skin care products too.

- Annie

phototaker responded:
I know you can't diagnose something over the internet, but I go to a skin doctor when I have questions. Right now, I have little shiny bump like pimples around my knuckles on one hand. My skin doctor said that people with diabetes get these. They don't itch, hurt, or cause any problems. They will go away on their own and then come back again. He gave me a cream but said it thins the skin, so I haven't used it. If it gets embarrassing to look at, I will. Anyhow, you probably should see a skin doctor, so you don't worry about it. By the way, mine are red sometimes, too.

OneBailey responded:
Hey,

I've noticed exactly the same small bumps on my right hand over the past two weeks. I thought they were bug bites or something until they started multiplying...but not drastically. There are about ten or so on my right hand all pretty close to each other. A few have disappeared, but under teh right lighting you can see that they are there. Tiny, non-itchy but annoying just like yours.

Let me know when you find ou what they are and what they appear to be.

Thanx.

eudabanker replied to blindsolitude's response:
Did you ever figure out what that was? I have the same thing and its been driving me crazy! There is so much out there that it could be? Have you done any sort of treatment? I also have a baby and Im so worried it wil spread to her! Ah! Thanks

Gladys1943 responded:
Hi - I have the same thing and started getting them 3 or more years ago. They started on one hand and then went to the other. The left arm now has them going up te the ben of my elbow on the topside of my arm. At times they really are pronounced and I can really feel and see them under the skin After I apply lotion to my hands they go flat again, but I can still see and feel them. I am now 68 yeas old. I did go to my dermatologist and all I got from him is "that's old age." I did not like his dismissive tone, so he is no longer my dermatologist. He did give me a prescription for some lotion and it did nothing to the bumps. The bumps do not itch, burn, get scaly or anything - just annoy me that they are there. I would love to get rid of them.

An_258627 responded:
I have something similar, the largest one is on my right index finger and there are twonaround my middle knuckle on my right hand, there are smaller ones on my other fingers, I don't know what has caused them and would like to find a solution that does not involve going to the doctor. If anybody knows anything it would be very helpful.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.