Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Possile Nail Fungus
faithma1968 posted:
My left thumb is currently swollen and from the knuckle up it is numb. The nail is completely sore and there appears to be either a bruise or infection under the nail. I have no sores or broken skin that I can see on my thumb. I have not smashed or injured my thumb. I can not get into the doctors office any time soon and I do not feel its worthy of a trip to the ER. Any advice would be welcomed.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Faithma,

One of my favorite, simple, organic treatments for nail ailments is a soak in vinegar and water.

Vinegar-water soaks kill bacteria and fungus in a safe and natural way.

Soak your affected nail in 1/4 part white vinegar to 3/4 part warm water for 5 minutes and then rinse with cool water and cover the affected nail. It should help -- at least until you get into your doc

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.