Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pimple Scars
An_248073 posted:
I had a spot on the end of my nose which I tried to squeeze but it didn't work so I just left it an put some make up powder on it. It dried up and peeled off and just kept on peeling for two days. Now it's been moisturized but has left a really dark mark where the spot was and around it. It's like a brown stain thing. How do I get rid of it?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

The process you are referring to is a condition called "post inflammatory pigment change." Essentially, the inflammation from the pimple and the squeezing lead to over-stimulation of your pigment producing cells (melanocytes).

You should do a broad spectrum sunscreen in the am, and a lightening product in the pm (hydroquinone, licorice, and arbutin are some key ingredients to look for).

I hope that helps

An_248073 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thanks! I've been applying bio oil to the scar and this morning I work up to find that it is drying out and what I thought was a scar is like dark dry skin, almost like a scab. I'm not quite sure if it's dry skin or it's still a scar, it's hard to tell because it's been moisturized but when I run my finger over it, it feels slightly rough. What is it?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.