Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Reoccurring hives on scalp
lafnow posted:
I've had several episodes of hives on my scalp, back of neck and even onto my ears. They last for 7-14 days. The first couple of times I had hives they were on my inner thighs and then onto outer thigh and hip area and again 7-14 day both times. I feel this is hormone related as it repeats and then subsides. I wonder if I have some kind of imbalance that can be corrected or a further medical problem this could be signaling. My PCP just passed it off as something hormonal and said I would have to deal with it. I would like advise on who to try to see allergists or endocrinologist. Any advise?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Lafnow,

Hormonal induced hives are definitely a consideration. It may be helpful to start with an endocrinologist so that he/she may check the hormonal levels at the appropriate time of the month (normal levels of hormones fluctuate depending on the time of the month).

I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.