Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Shingles
Upset posted:
Relative with shingles for 10 months. She is 76 and has been on prednisone for 3 years due to a rare pnumonia. Drs say that shingles cannot heal doe to large does for prednisone. Does this sound common? She takes other meds also for high blood pressure. She also uses milkofmagnisa daily. Please help

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Upset,

Shingles for that duration is definitely NOT common (despite the prednisone).

I recently saw a nice senior citizen in my office who was also diagnosed with a long duration "shingles" and treated with acyclovir and was not healing for 6 months.

Turned out all of her "shingles" were actually pre-cancer and skin cancer spots and she had been misdiagnosed initially.

Please have your relative evaluated by a dermatologist that you trust.

I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Got Eczema or Roseaca? caring help is on the way-.... heres a tip for you!
LIMU (Gentle seaweed cleanser) for men and Women and safe for kids too! remove eye makeup and shave with this popular daily cleanser from ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.