Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How easy is it to spread nail fungus through clothing?
graymouse posted:
How easy is it to spread nail fungus from the feet to the hands? I've got a persistent toenail fungus that has spread to multiple toes over time, but am concerned about infecting my fingernails or spreading it to other parts of my body through my hands.

I know toenail fungus can spread to the fingers by touching the infected nail directly (and then not washing up), but what about through clothing, like socks?

For example, is it necessary to wash hands my hands each time I change socks or put shoes on? Every time I touch my foot when wearing socks? Are surfaces I walk on or brush against (like bedsheets), or objects accidentally dropped on a foot capable of spreading fungus to my hands if I touch them afterward?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.