Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Increasingly viscious acne cycle every 3 months
An_248276 posted:
I continue to have severe acne breakouts on my face which seem to occur about every 3 months. They do not necessarily reflect my menstural cycle. The breakouts started out small and usually just on my chin and mouth area. I thought this was just hormonal. However, everytime a break occurs it is more aggressive. Currently, when I do break out, although the pimples are only small, they usually appear in clusters and are extremely raised, red, hard, painful and sometimes itchy. They occur on my chin, cheeks, side of my face, temples, the area under my the inner side of my eyebrows near the nose ridge, and nostril area. The breakouts usually last 2 weeks with pimple after pimple errupting everyday before it settles down and starts drying up and healing. Most concerninly, whether I pick at them or not the smallest blemish leaves a scar. By the time I feel confident that the scars have resided, it is roughly 3 months and the cycle begins again.

I am on the birth control pill Loette mainly because of cramps and for my skin (although now im starting to reconsider). I eat healthy, and of a healthy weight of 55kg for my height. I wash my face with warm water of a morning, and use Benzac face wash of a night, followed by a gentle microdermabrasion scrub (vitamin C based), and a concentrated vitamin C liquid on any pigmentation. I used to use Benzac pimple cream on pimples but I found it worsened the scaring. I don't use any liquid foundation. I use a MAC primer and a mineral powder from The Body Shop.

I'm completely lost why my skin is continuing to breakout. Its severly affecting my social life. I avoid the beach, clubbing, staying out all night, the gym, holidays and sometimes even kissing my partner.

I just want to get my confidence back and start living my life again.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.