Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Do I have a fungal Infection?
    An_248294 posted:
    Location: Under my tummy roll, at the top of my groin area.
    Symptoms: Flat brown moles, odor, redness and some raised irritated skin, peeling.

    I've had this for 2 weeks and this doesn't seem to be improving. I've had skin irritiation in the same area before that was treated with econazole nitrate cream. I have never had brown spots, peeling and odor. Is this a more severe case of what I had before or something else?

    Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
    Dear An,

    It may be another fungal/ yeast infection. Try an over-the-counter anti-fungal such as lotrimin or clotrimazole (that is similar to the econazole you used before).

    Try the cream twice daily for three days, while also keeping the area dry. If there is no improvement, you may need to see your doctor.

    I hope that helps

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Tea Tree Oil helps
    I got have a keloid scar from the chickenpox on my chest. I 've had this scar for 26 years and have tried many things from silcone sheets ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.