Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Red, Itchy skin - hives when you touch your skin or shower?
Kmacrdh posted:
I suffered from the same symptoms, every MD I went to said I have just having an allergic reaction take an antihistamine and it will go away. It got to the point where I was in so much pain because these marks (crazy patterns) were coming up all over my body that I started having panic attacks and trouble breathing during these episodes. I finally was referred to a Dermatologist who diagnosed me with dermatographia. I noticed these marks would get worse anytime i was in the shower - that is because I had aqua dermatographia - apparently there are several types. The dermatologist explained to me that I was possibly exposed to something that I had never been exposed to before (this all started after a camping trip in the middle of nowhere) and threw the balance of my mast cells off. He said it could be permanent however most cases it will last about a year. He had given me some medication that was amazing i still did get welts - however not painful anymore and became less frequent. They were little green pills looked like footballs - cant remember the name exactly - they were quite strong and I was only aloud to take them before bed. Hope this helps I remember how it felt when it happened to me.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.