Skip to content
Help with cysts in my beard (neck and jaw line)
DBailey posted:
I can remember getting one or two cysts along my jaw line or down my neck once or twice a year. I would go see the doctor and he would inject them, and they would go away. Things have gotten a lot worse. Over the last several months I will have 3-6 cysts at once. They pop up, last for a week or two and them calm back down to a smooth scar tissue. However, these cysts tend to come back in the same places. These scars have pretty much ruined my beard. I have taken a two month course of antibiotic with no success. I am currently on my second month of Accutane (which I hate: crazy dry skin, awful heartburn, ect.) with no sign of improvement. The most interesting part is the locations. They follow an almost perfect line along my jaw and then directly down my neck just left and right of my throat. These non-random locations and lack of success from my previous medication are starting make me think this might not be acne at all but maybe some sort of nerve or immunology problem. I found that shaving didn't really help so I currently look like a hobo. Before I start booking random doctors appointments I figured I would throw this out there to WebMD and see if anyone has experienced this or might know where to go next. I am going to continue the Accutane; however, I already have acid reflux and take medication for it and this stuff makes it almost unmanagable even with a solid increase in my daily omeprazole (40mg 3x a day not sure if going more is a good idea). I am going to a wedding in a couple weeks and would love to be able to shave and not look like I have leprosy. Any help would be really appreciated.

DBailey responded:
I saw an article that linked smoking to cysts. I quit two weeks ago and while I haven't completely cleared up, they have definitely slowed down.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.