Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Large thigh bruise from a fall
An_246571 posted:
I fell on a staircase, and developed a very large bruise under my thigh. It swelled a little with some minor pain at first, but I applied ice and it was fine after an hour. I am also taking Aleve. Over a day or so, I developed a very large bruise on that same spot, however, there is no pain, just a little tenderness if I put pressure on it (like at night laying on it in bed). I believe I already see signs of the edges healing. I haven't been overly concerned about it, because it hasn't been a problem, but now I wonder if It is a good idea to see my doctor - just because of the size of it (it is around 4 inches across). From your site information, It appears that nothing is out of the ordinary to worry about, however. I am also wondering if I should stop my twice/week workouts with my personal trainer until it heals - if not, of course I would make sure he knows before we start in order to take it easy on the leg muscles for a couple of weeks.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

Great question!

It sounds like a typical bruise. I would suggest stopping any aleve, aspirin or ibuprofen products as they thin the blood and may prolong healing. If you need anything for tenderness, tylenol may help.

Make sure it is turning yellow at the edges.

There is no reason for you to stop your personal tr sessions- if anything, it will help the body reasorb the old blood.

Please keep us posted!

I hope that helps

mmm1812 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you for this answer. I did go for my workout and not only did it not hurt, but it appears today to have helped the healing more. It is indeed turning yellow, so I am encouraged. Thanks for the advice on the Aleve/Aspirin - I note that WEB MD mentions using it - perhaps it should be clearer saying to use it just during the initial period after bruising when there is swelling.

Thanks again!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Got Eczema or Roseaca? caring help is on the way-.... heres a tip for you!
LIMU (Gentle seaweed cleanser) for men and Women and safe for kids too! remove eye makeup and shave with this popular daily cleanser from ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.