Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Systemically, suicide-inducing itching!!! Please help!
karenjj posted:
I've had constantly, unbearably itchy, non healing sores on my back for over a year. They are located where I used to have moles on my back, although not all my moles have turned into the itchy sores. I've been to about 5 dermatologists. I've been tested for everything from dry skin to syphillis, to Mrsa, to leprosy and of course for cancer --- no results! The one diagnosis they gave me was "lichen simplex chronicus", which is a throwaway diagnosis, if you ask me...it merely means chronically itchy skin. Duh.

They don't know all the different types of itching I experience and I don't even think they care. These sores have spread to my extremities, where they're highly visible, and it's embarrassing! I even avoid going out now, as much as possible. Dressing up is impossible!

I've been prescribed countless topical ointments, pills and even cortisone injections. While the three injections were going into my back, I could STILL feel itching, deep dep deep down inside my back. Dry skin, humbug!

No one knows what to do about this. It's driven me close to suicide!!! Please help!!!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Karenjj -

I am so sorry to hear you have been experiencing this. It sounds extremely frustrating, considering you have seen so many dermatologists.

Hopefully these resources will provide a little more information for you -

Pruritus (Itching) Causes & Treatment
Itch (Itching) - Medscape
Adult Skin Problems - Slideshow

Do you always have sores or do they heal?
Have you tried any numbing creams?

Since you mentioned suicide, see our Crisis Assistance and please reach out if you ever feel you can not keep yourself safe.

Hoping you find answers soon,
Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.