Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stubborn severe acne
An_248754 posted:
My 23 year old son has severe acne concentrated on his chest, upper back, and upper arms. He currently has a lesion the size of a pingpong ball on his upper arm. Also has lesions in groin area, thighs, and gluteal area. The only way he gets any relief is to pop these lesions every 6-10hrs. I know this is not recommended practice, but it's the only thing that helps at this point. He has tried numerous topical cleansers and preps without success. He is currently on Doxycycline 100mg twice daily (only prescribed once daily, but he takes 2-3 caps/day to control it). Was better over the summer when outside with shirt off and in the sunshine 1-2hrs/day. Now that weather is cooler, this is not possible and condition is again worsening.

Dermatologist had recommended Acutane, but he didn't wish to pursue treatment because of side effects. Is that a major problem in the male population, especially with regard to birth defects?

I have read about success with blue light therapy and that there is a home version. Since so much of his body is involved, is this feasible? What is a projected cost for this treatment given the large area affected? He has spoken about tanning, thinking this may improve the condition if he signs up at the gym. Is this a good idea?

Right now he has excruciating pain, cannot sit with his back against a chair, cannot tolerate wearing a seatbelt, and cannot stand the pressure of the suspenders of his firefighting bunker pants on his shoulders. He is frantic. Anything you can offer in the line of information, recommendations, etc? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.