Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful Bumps
woodsman1980 posted:
For about 5 or 6 years I have been getting painful bumps on my right thumb (always on the thumb or the base of the thumb, then haven't spread). Sometimes the appear on top such as in the pictures, but most often they are on the underside of the thumb. I used to get 10 - 16 of them at a time, now when I get an outbreak it is usually 5 - 6 of them.

A couple times when this has occurred I get a painful slightly red streak up my arm. I notice that these outbreaks happen if in wear leather gloves, or am in contact with a leather wrapped handle of a tool. Most often there is friction between the leather and the skin (such as digging a hole). After about 4 or 5 days the bumps get large enough to pop with a pin and then I drain the pus and fluid out to release the pressure. From when they first emerge they are usually cleared up in about 14 to 20 days. Then it might for for a month, or 6 to 8 months before I get them again.

Any thoughts of what this could be? Thanks in advance.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.