Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
shingles
ppvacation3 posted:
I got shingles of the eye, forehead and scalp in March of 2010. I also got the vacination 6 months later. I suffer terribly with pain of the scalp and itching.I really think the itching causes more pain than the residules of the actual shingles. I am allergic to Neurontin and break out in hives so that Rx is not an option. I have tried everything and can't stop itching. I am at the end of my patience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear PPvacation3,

One of my favorite over the counter remedies for itching is a cream called Sarna (or its generic equivalent). This product has camphor and menthol in it, which soothes the skin and treats itching. For added benefit, you can put the Sarna in the fridge and apply it to the skin cold. You will see a nice reduction in your itching!

I hope that helps

JimP321 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
So a couple months ago my skin started itching. I have been itching all over my body. The worst is the itching in the groin area. my genitals have been itching and there are big bumps there that itch 24/7, and especially at night. The bumps on my genitals are on my legs too and they get bigger and redder if I scratch them. It hasn't been a horrible thing to go through. Here is a link to a picture I took of my inner leg. I want to know what is going on with my skin http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/snapshot201211071.jpg/

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.