Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Severe Acne and Un-insured
elizabethsadie13 posted:
Needing some advice, I am a 25 year old stay at home Mom, with no health insurance. I have developed severe acne over the past 2 years, that I cannot get rid of no matter what I do.
Since I am un-employed, I can't afford to go to a dermatologist, or buy super expensive OTC remedies. I tried ProActive, and that didn't make one bit of difference. I have used every skin care product under the sun and NOTHING helps. Since it keeps getting worse, my skin is essentially getting ruined to due to scarring and skin spots from all of the repeated breakouts. I am at a complete loss as far as what to do. It is ruining my self esteem. I need help!
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Elizabeth,

I can honestly say that you should see a dermatologist. I volunteer at a free/low cost clinic in St Paul and there are many other derms throughout the country that do the same - call your local free clinics and ask.

Another resource would be a university with a dermatology residency program in your town. Often, the residents (under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist) will treat patients for low or no cost.

You likely need orals as well as prescription strength topical antibiotics and retinoids. It is very important that you get in to the derm soon as it is crucial to limit the scarring.

I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.