Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
red raised itchy rash
itchymommy posted:
I'm Asian & I started having this red raised sometimes scaly rash on my arms when I came here in the US while I'm 5mos pregnant. My OB said it could be hormonal changes associated w/ prenancy. After I gave birth it became much worst & spread all over my legs too. It's been 5yrs now & I haven't seen a dermatologist coz I don't have insurance. This week I could hardly sleep because it was so itchy & it burns & it spreads on my back & butt too. I tried applying hydrocortisone 1%, olive oil, aloe vera, anti-itch lotion & took zyrtec. But still the itching would not go away & I can't help to scratch it sometimes. Could it be eczema or psoriasis?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Itchymommy,

With such a long-standing, troublesome condition, it is advisable to seek the help of a dermatologist. There are many derms that volunteer at free clinics (I go to one in St Paul). Alternatively, you can call a private office or University and inquire if they have a discounted rate for patients with no insurance.

Ultimately, finding the right diagnosis will save you time and money.
Life is too precious to live with such a troublesome condition when help is available.

I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.