Includes Expert Content
Red bumps, itchy, cyclical, slow spreading
Jutawan posted:
I have small bumps mainly on my upper back. Itchy, cyclically get crusty and cyclically backs off. A bit red. Has moved to my chest and upper arms and back of hands - on hands I thought was a result of using too much chemical soap and hand washing clothes. A friend suggested what I think is calamine and it's helped all but the oldest (3 + years) although it's getting better. After 2 weeks, only the back area remains active, although I haven't stopped calamine to see if it returns.. Another friend suggested parasites - after research, I don't think that's it because after 3 years parasites would be all over me - and my husband hasn't gotten it. Suggesting I go to a Dr won't be effective because I live in Indonesia and great, effetive doctors are hard to find. Anyone with ideas or other links would be very appreciated.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Jutawan,

Given that you have had the eruption for so long, it is in your best interest to see a dermatologist. Typically, this may be in the eczema/ sensitive skin family. However, living in Indonesia, you are exposed to different bacterial and fungal infections. A small skin biopsy is not difficult to interpret and will give you a 100% answer and hopefully some relief.

If you need a good dermatologist, go to the University. You will undoubtedly receive the best care.

I hope that helps