Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chocolate DOES cause Acne for Some Poeple!! It's not just a wive's tale!!!
CrazyLadyToo posted:
It just riles me up when I see countless articles stating there is no scientific evidence that chocolate causes acne. Well, if it doesn't then why is it that whenever I eat anything with chocolate in it, I have a breakout of cystic acne within 3 days. I think for some people this "myth" is horribly true if they have an allergy of sorts to chocolate. I had horrible cystic acne all the way up to my 40s.. That is when I figured out it was chocolate. So I gave it up. And presto, acne is all gone. I've tested it a few times to confirm. Now we have found out that my teenage daughter has the same issue. Her acne got really bad. I convinced her to give it up for a few months and almost all of it cleared up, Every once in a while we succume to temptation and pay the price. I don't know if it's an allergy to the chocolate or something with it but it can be cakes, cookies, chocolate bars, or hot chocolate. It can be dark, white, or milk chocolate. It does not matter. So if you have cystic acne, try giving it up for a few weeks or months and see if your acne gets better. Don't beleive the hype about it being a wife's tale. It pains me to see so many people suffer from horrible acne when it could be something they are eating like chocolate and yet there are 1000's of articles assuring them that chocolate is not causing it. Well, it does cause if for some people. I'm living proof and so is my daughter. This is not a cure for all but I'm sharing this in case there are others out there like me that can benefit from this information and hopefully get their acne under control LONG before they are 40.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.