Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What is this bump? Help please!
hellodali posted:
I have a place on the back of my left calf that is usually smooth with nothing there unless it gets stimulated either by me brushing against it in some way, such as brushing it against the sofa, or my paint leg will brush it, very lightly and within a few seconds it will be stimulated not unlike a nipple would be and a bump raises up and it stings and is very painful. It will have an underlying sting, but also has a jabbing sharp sting as the stimulation continues. It hurts worse than a bee sting and just keeps stinging until it settles back down, which can take from 10 minutes up to a half hour. As it calms down the stinging slowly goes away and the jabbing sting trails off and hurts less, but still jabs. After it calms down my skin is once again flat with no bump.

I have tried searching google trying to figure out what this is, but way too much stuff about skin rashes etc comes up for me to be able to lock down what this might be. This used to be more of a daily problem, but the only way I could think of to treat it was to keep a bandaid on it, because I figured in time it would get used to the feeling of the bandaid, in the same way you stop feeling your watch, and this has helped it some, but if it gets a good brush it still does it. Even water flowing down my leg in the show will set it off.

I have mentioned it to several doctors, but some how my diabetes gets all the attention every office visit and unless it is stinging at the time, I never think about it because we are always talking about everything else. The best thing I can think of as to why it hurts is that this bump thing is happening right at a nerve. I could be wrong though.

What the heck is this and what can I do about it?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Hello,
Given the diabetes, you are more prone to skin infections and inflammation. Since the diabetes always takes center stage at your primary doc visits, schedule an appt with a dermatologist who will put your skin first- you deserve it!

I hope that helps

hellodali replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
So you don't have any idea what this thing might be? I have had it for over 5 years now. Like I said, it only flairs up when it gets brushed by something, then it raises up and stings like mad for about 15 to 30 minutes until it calms down and then is no worry until it gets brushed again.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.