Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tinea Versicolor Question
irish81 posted:
Hey all so I've noticed for about the past 2 weeks that I had a red/white skin discoloration or rash on my chest, shoulders, and a little bit on my face. I went to see a dermatologist this morning and the doctor said it was a skin fungus called Tinea Versicolor and he prescribed me this topical shampoo called Selenium Sulfide 2.25%. He said I should rinse off in the shower, then apply it on the infected areas, leave it on for 10 minutes and then take a shower as I normally would. He said that it should help get rid of the fungus in about 10 days.

I'm pretty sure the doctor said it was alright to apply it to my face, but I just wanted to ask you all if it was safe to apply to my face or not? I've been seeing things online that say I can apply it on my face and then I've found other things that say its not safe. What should I do?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.